Tuesday, February 9, 2010

We Have Lift-Off!!

We are almost there. Every time the Olympic site posts new photos on their Facebook page, I get goosebumps. I start giggling like a schoolgirl. I am just downright excited!! 
   Of course, predicting weather has become almost as popular as predicting podium placements. Photos show sunshine; weather predicts rain in Vancouver and snow on the mountains. One thing that everyone does seem to agree on is that the lines will be LONG and the security tight. It is the world we live in and that is our reality. I'm okay with that, though. 
   With all the media attention and all the craziness, there is one part that has been fun - and truly surprising. Like people who win the lottery and have friends and relatives come out of the woodwork, now that we are going to Vancouver, it has been much the same. I have been contacted by long-lost friends, teachers, business associates, friends of friends (of friends..); I even received an email from a niece I didn't know I had. That was a true "wow" moment. I've reconnected with people here on my blog, as well as on Facebook and through our family website. It has been fun and uplifting as everyone has caught the "Olympic Spirit." 
   That made me think. 
   Years ago, as I sat mesmerized in front of the TV watching Olympics as a child, I wondered what it would be like to go to the Games. As an athlete in school, I tried to imagine walking into Opening Ceremonies. I thought about meeting people from other countries, competing in my sports and then celebrating at the closing with all the other participants who came with their country's hopes and their own aspirations to the world's largest stage. I thought about what the spirit of the Games is to the ones participating. 
   As we head to Vancouver in two days, my ideals live on. Now, I get to witness them in person. I get to live them with my family as we watch our athlete initiated into one of the most exclusive clubs in sport. We are about to lift off to an adventure we can only imagine, but one we will remember forever. Hopefully, we can share some of it with you.
"Citius, Altius, Fortius" 
On to Canada, eh?

5 comments:

  1. I am thrilled and delighted with this outcome --- for ALL of you!! (Say hi to Gwen for me, as well!).
    love,
    erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. FEEL IT, LOVE IT, LIVE IT! YOU WILL TRULY ENJOY IT ALL. THE JOURNEY HAS BEEN AMAZING AND WELL DESERVED. SOOOO HAPPY FOR ALL OF YOU! LOVE PEGGY (SWING!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole family will have such a great time together. I hope that you can all go skiing/snowboarding at Whistler after J. is done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joy. I'm sending you a virtual umbrella your way in case you have to stand in line somewhere!

    ReplyDelete