Saturday, January 21, 2012

Latitudes and Attitudes


Many friends are already blowing in to San Jose for the 2012 US National Figure Skating Championships. I still have a few days to go before I arrive.
I was trying to think of an appropriate blog for this annual rite of passage. There is a lot that needs to get done, both at home and work, before we board the Big Bird to SJC. Once there, it won't be a marathon; we will be in full sprint mode. This is NOT a vacation by any stretch of the imagination, but there wasn't a place on my time card to mark "Five days off for insanity, after which I'll need a break."

This all leads me to my usual 3AM mental wake up call.

After spending the better portion of Friday night sending and receiving a flurry of emails, texts and messages on Twitter and Facebook regarding plans for San Jose, I tried to set my mind on cruise control and get some sleep. Early this morning, after dreaming about thunder storms and tornadoes carrying our house away, I woke up with a song stuck in my head. I don't know how it got there, but as I found myself randomly humming it over the course of today's pre-trip shopping frenzy, I realized why my subconscious had struck up the band. With apologies to my former Old Snowmass neighbor, here is a minor adjustment to his lyrics:


I took off for a weekend last month
Just to try and recall the whole year
All of the faces and all of the places
Wonderin where they all disappeared
I didn't ponder the question too long
I was hungry and went out for a bite
Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum
And we wound up drinkin all night

Its these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
With all of our running and all of our cunning
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Reading departure signs in some big airport
Reminds me of the places Ive been
Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure
Makes me want to go back again
If it suddenly ended tomorrow
I could somehow adjust to the fall
Good times and riches and son of a bitches
Ive seen more than I can recall

With these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
With all of my running and all of my cunning
If I couldn't laugh I just would go insane
If we couldn't laugh we just would go insane
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane

1 comment:

  1. No place to send this privately, but I wanted to add my good wishes to Allen. Stay healthy! Sorry I am so late on this, just caught up on everything tonight (wanted to watch the whole competition so didn't read anything until IN had the videos up). Congrats to J. Beautiful to watch! Well deserved. DS was inspired by his skating (so was I of course :) ).

    ReplyDelete