Sunday, June 22, 2014

Deja-Vu...All Over Again





While my loyalty to the Boston Red Sox is well recorded, there is one Yankee who coined many, if not most, of my mantras over the past 25 years of competitive skating. Yogi was the one every reporter could count on for what are now called "sound bites" - those juicy bits of language that can sum up a baseball game - or life - in the matter of a few well, or ill-chosen and juxtaposed, words. 

I've been thinking about Yogi a lot lately. So many "Yogi-isms" continue to define my past, present...and apparently my furture. See if you agree:
 

“If the world was perfect, it wouldn’t be.”
(because...)
 “We made too many wrong mistakes.” 
(however...)
 “You can observe a lot just by watching.”

WHEN IT COMES TO SKATING...
  “90% of the game is half mental.”
(so...)
 “You have to give 100 percent in the first half of the game. If that isn't enough, in the second half, you have to give what's left.”  
(because)
“The future ain’t what it use to be.”
(that's why...)
“When you come to a fork in the road, 
take it.”
(however...)
“It's not too far; it just seems like 
it is.”  
(that explains why...)
“We're lost, but we're making good time.” 

AND WHEN IT COMES TO BLOGGING AND SOCIAL MEDIA...
 “I never said most of the things I said.” 
(so...) 
“If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer.”   
(and that's the reason why...)
“Never answer anonymous letters.”
(...direct messages, emails or posts)
FINALLY...
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”
(because...)  
“No matter where you go, there you are.” 
 (and, of course...)

AND POST SCRIPT...(PS:)
 “I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary.”




2 comments:

  1. Amazingly apt. The 'can and can't control' is eternally useful. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is better than downward and backward but if you put them together I guess one goes full circle :)

    ReplyDelete