|Photo from Zimbio.Click for video.|
Now I had a tangible reason for my apparent apathy. With so many of the competitors this season I was seeing little that made me want to get up to watch at all hours of the day and night. Jumps, spins, transitions and footwork, for the most part have been quite impressive. However, I found myself content to view the videos on line. But even then, watching on my computer after the fact, what I was seeing didn't move me to generally love - well - what I was seeing.
- I LOVE TO SKATE! Come join me on my journey
- You don't have to love me but you have to watch me skate because I'm awesome
- I'm tossing my hair so I'm emoting
- If I throw my arms around enough I'll look like I'm emoting
- I haven't got a CLUE why I'm skating to this music
- I'm pretending to like my partner
- I'm bored
- I'm scared
- I'm concentrating so hard I can feel smoke coming out of my ears
- Don't look at the audience. Don't look at the audience...crud, I looked. Now what?
- I'm going to survive this
- PLEASE let this be over
I know the season is just getting started. After 26 years, I know how difficult this sport is and how incredibly hard all these skaters work. However, as a lifelong lover of skating, all I ask is this: If you truly have a passion for what you do, show us - not with a phony point, a choreographed ultra-white grin and uncomfortable-looking wiggle, but with a depth and a confidence that says, "I get it." I don't ask for much. Look me in the eye and give something of yourself that is more than you even knew you had. Show me your soul, not just your score. Trust me to love you for it. If you do, no matter the outcome, I promise I'll watch.