Sunday, December 27, 2020

An Open Letter to 2020: Things I Learned That I Didn't Know I Needed

 




Dear 2020: 

No sense in rehashing what you wrought in this universally challenging year. Volumes will be written by those much better equipped than I. 

However, on my part there have been some personal revelations, life lessons, and some things I needed to be reminded of, that are worth chronicling here. I'll just call them personal observations and lessons learned. Here are a few of the highlights:    

  • Having a somewhat perverse sense of humor is a survival skill.
  • A commitment to a healthy diet is a survival skill. 
  • Pilates classes with my daughter on Zoom are a great idea on so many levels. It's also a survival skill. 
  • Housebound exercise on YouTube is...housebound exercise on YouTube, no matter which way you slice it and I'm not sure I'd classify it a survival skill (but you could have done better with some of those videos, really). 
  • Outdoor exercise, almost no matter what the weather, is a survival skill.
  •  Zoom volunteer committee meetings lasting longer than an hour is a survival skill that requires a strong constitution, something that's occasionally lacking at my age. 
  • Zoom family calls are an essential survival skill that can be extremely funny and sometimes incredibly awkward. 
  • Memes created in your honor have helped many of us survive, while reassuring me I'm not alone in my twisted sense of humor.
  • Working on a new project with my husband without needing bail money (most of the time) is the epitome of survival skills.
In the category of lessons learned, there are these revelations : 
  • I have way too many pairs of black leggings.
  • I don't have any shoes other than slippers, sneakers, snow and hiking boots, and a single pair of flipflops.
  • I need more soft sweaters because I've reached the point where I want to burn the ones I have.
  • I hate bras. (I really hate bras.)
  • I have socks in my drawer that actually match only because I'm not wearing them.
  • I have socks in my drawer that are older than my youngest child - and possibly my oldest.
  • I know everywhere that Mike and Frank have visited over the past 17 seasons of "American Pickers," and I can now identify motorcycle parts in a pile of junk buried in my neighbor's backyard (don't ask).
  • The people on my mother's side of the family were hoarders, and my mother never threw away anything, including but not limited to: pocket calendar style address books dating back to 1946; bank statements going back to the 1950s, ephemera of all shapes, sizes and unknown origins pertaining to who-knows-what, and old love letters that dated back to before I was born. I'm sure she didn't even remember they still existed, mixed among the aforementioned papers. They definitely fell into the TMI category, and she would have been mortified to know that I had unwittingly perused them.
  • I have large plastic containers filled to the brim with several generations of family photos - including unidentified trees, people, flowers and feet.
  • There are literally no scrapbooks large enough for 32 years of competitive skating memorabilia.
  • Not all old VHS tapes of non-qualifying competitions - currently filling six packing boxes - are "keepers."
  • Cassette tapes of old programs dating back to the early 1990s do not need to be displayed, played - or kept, for that matter. 
  • It's okay to go minimalist. But when in doubt, send a photo to the kids to see if they want it first. I've been out of the mindreading business far too long and I'm woefully out of practice.
However, the most important thing I learned from you, 2020, is to be present. You reminded me to be there for people; to help where I could; to counsel if asked, and to shut up and listen when it was truly needed. You also reminded me the importance of saying "I'm sorry," and "thank you," because both are worth their weight in gold.

As I get ready to fling open our windows and doors to guide you "gently" out and cautiously welcome 2021, I really need to prepare. There is so much ahead; so much to do. 

I'm stronger, and hopefully wiser, because of you, 2020. Your lessons were not wasted on me, and you will not be forgotten. I have a very long memory.

Yours Truly.









No comments:

Post a Comment