Friday, January 8, 2010

Short Stop - My Life In The Peanut Gallery..



Back in the early days of television, my parents worked on the air in New York. Early on, my mom was on NBC. My dad, at that time, was with CBS and then later NBC. I learned to skate at Rockefeller Center, and spent a lot of time terrorizing studios and stagehands. Because in those days I was too short to be a pain in the neck, I was relegated to the Peanut Gallery of the "Howdy Doody Show." Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody were my babysitters.

Lets see: A big guy with a booming voice, a puppet and seats in the stands watching all the action from a distance. How prophetic.

We are five days away from leaving for Spokane where I will be in a very large Peanut Gallery sitting next to a big guy with a booming voice and holding a puppet while I am watching the action from a distance.


I have always told my children, in preparing them for being good and responsible adults, "What comes around, goes around." No truer words were ever spoken.

1 comment:

  1. This is fascinating and funny.
    A bit Prophetic for me as well. Back then, I was in the virtual Peanut Gallery, sitting in front of a black and white TV a few miles away in Syosset, Long Island, New York. But in Spokane, I will be with you in the real Peanut Gallery in the stands. It's Howdy Doody Time! Go Alexander!

    ReplyDelete