Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Poetic Justice This Holiday Season in an Ode to Nationals



 







It’s the countdown to Boston
My house is a mess
I’m glad there is no one I have to impress
Papers and boxes are flung everywhere
Christmas is coming – I don’t even care

My husband is settled all snug in our bed
But I’m up all night, I can’t shut off my head
There are boxes to fill – there are presents to wrap
I’m tired but I can’t even find time to nap
My livingroom’s filled with my holiday clutter
All I can do is just stare and just mutter
I’d hire someone but I don’t have the cash
My brain keeps on saying “Dump it all in the trash”
I can’t do that, of course. It’s for family, you know
But Boston is looming – we’ve just days to go








I wish there was someone who just would appear
To straighten this mess - then I’ll get out of here
A elfin-like helper, so lively and fast
Who’d make everything shine and then make it all last
His team would be with him; they’d come through the doors
He’d call them by name and then give them all chores:
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donner and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now clean away! clean away! clean away all!"

I’d sit on my sofa in awe of this mob
Who are cleaning, and dusting and doing my job
They’re professionally dressed from the head to the foot
While they vacuum the floor and get rid of the soot
One’s mopping the kitchen, one’s out in the back
Another one’s helping me find what to pack
Their eyes – how they twinkle!
Their dimples – how sweet!
And one of them just made me something to eat
One little guy with a very round belly
Brought me a muffin with raspberry jelly
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself
He gave me a snack and then later some wine
He set a nice table so we could both dine

With a wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
He told hubby and me we could go off to bed.
He finished his work, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim as they drove out of sight,
“Happy Nationals, Mom - and keep Sochi in sight!”

2 comments:

  1. I <3 this SO much! Happy holidays to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have outdone yourself! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete